+49 711 685-61784
Soft tissue mechanics, sports biomechanics, neuromechanics of human movement, musculoskeletal biomechanics, orthopaedics biomechanics with a focus on the behaviour of skeletal muscles to understand:
- age-related muscular changes using ultrasound, ultrasound elastography, MRI, and intramuscular pressure
- muscle and joint function in relation to sarcomere length-muscle force relationship
- estimate muscle force using ultrasound elastography, EMG, intramuscular pressure
- neuromuscular diseases, rehabilitation techniques, and associated treatments, e.g., by botulinum neurotoxin, orthopaedic surgeries
Active Research Projects
2020 – 2023: 3DFoot – Data-integrated, 3D muscle modelling For
Optimised Orthopaedic Treatment of the foot.
BMBF (Federal Ministry of Research and Education) –
Call for “Interdisziplinäre Forschungsverbünde
zu muskuloskelettalen Verbünden” Total amount:
1.967.555 € (Own contribution: 442.031 €)
2016 – 2018: Functional Relevance of Epimuscular Interactions:
An Approach with Ultrasound Elastography to Reveal
Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Grant in
Aid for Young Scientists – 5 Million Yen ~ 50.000 USD,
24 months (Grant No. 16K16537).
- Ates, F., Brandenburg, J. E., & Kaufman, K. R. (2020). Effects of Selective Dorsal Rhizotomy on Ankle Joint Function in Patients With Cerebral Palsy. Frontiers in Pediatrics, 8(75), Article 75. https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2020.00075
- Kaya, C. S., Bilgili, F., Akalan, N. E., Temelli, Y., Ates, F., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2019). Intraoperative experiments combined with gait analyses indicate that active state rather than passive dominates the spastic gracilis muscle’s joint movement limiting effect in cerebral palsy. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon), 68, 151–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2019.06.005
- Ates, F., Davies, B., Chopra, S., Coleman-Wood, K., Litchy, W., & Kaufman, K. R. (2019). Intramuscular Pressure of Human Tibialis Anterior Muscle Reflects in vivo Muscular Activity. Frontiers in Physiology, 10(196), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2019.00196
- Ates, F., Andrade, R. J., Freitas, S. R., Hug, F., Lacourpaille, L., Gross, R., Yucesoy, C. A., & Nordez, A. (2018). Passive stiffness of monoarticular lower leg muscles is influenced by knee joint angle. Eur J Appl Physiol, 118(3), 585–593. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00421-018-3798-y
- Yucesoy, C. A., & Ates, F. (2018). BTX-A has notable effects contradicting some treatment aims in the rat triceps surae compartment, which are not confined to the muscles injected. J Biomech, 66, 78–85. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.10.035
- Kaya, C. S., Temelli, Y., Ates, F., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2018). Effects of inter-synergistic mechanical interactions on the mechanical behaviour of activated spastic semitendinosus muscle of patients with cerebral palsy. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater, 77, 78–84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2017.08.040
- Ates, F., Temelli, Y., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2018). Effects of antagonistic and synergistic muscles’ co-activation on mechanics of activated spastic semitendinosus in children with cerebral palsy. Hum Mov Sci, 57, 103–110. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2017.11.011
- Ates, F., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2018). Botulinum toxin type-A affects mechanics of non-injected antagonistic rat muscles. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater, 84, 208–216. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmbbm.2018.05.027
- Ates, F., Davies, B., Chopra, S., Coleman-Wood, K., Litchy, W., & Kaufman, K. (2018). Intramuscular Pressure of Tibialis Anterior Reflects Ankle Torque but Does Not Follow Joint Angle-Torque Relationship. Frontiers in Physiology, 9, 1–9. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2018.00022
- Yucesoy, C. A., Temelli, Y., & Ates, F. (2017). Intra-operatively measured spastic semimembranosus forces of children with cerebral palsy. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 36, 49–55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2017.07.003
- Ates, F., Temelli, Y., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2016). The mechanics of activated semitendinosus are not representative of the pathological knee joint condition of children with cerebral palsy. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 28, 130–136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2016.04.002
- Andrade, R. J., Nordez, A., Hug, F., Ates, F., Coppieters, M. W., Pezarat-Correia, P., & Freitas, S. R. (2016). Non-invasive assessment of sciatic nerve stiffness during human ankle motion using ultrasound shear wave elastography. Journal of Biomechanics, 49(3), 326–331. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2015.12.017
- Yucesoy, C. A., Turkoglu, A. N., Umur, S., & Ates, F. (2015). Intact Muscle Compartment Exposed to Botulinum Toxin Type a Shows Compromised Intermuscular Mechanical Interaction. Muscle & Nerve, 51(1), 106–116. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.24275
- Ates, F., Hug, F., Bouillard, K., Jubeau, M., Frappart, T., Couade, M., Bercoff, J., & Nordez, A. (2015). Muscle shear elastic modulus is linearly related to muscle torque over the entire range of isometric contraction intensity. J Electromyogr Kinesiol, 25(4), 703–708. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2015.02.005
- Le Sant, G., Ates, F., Brasseur, J. L., & Nordez, A. (2015). Elastography Study of Hamstring Behaviors during Passive Stretching. Plos One, 10(9), Article 9. https://doi.org/ARTN e0139272 10.1371/journal.pone.0139272
- Akdeniz, Z. D., Bayramicli, M., Ates, F., Ozkan, N., Yucesoy, C. A., & Ercan, F. (2015). The role of botulinum toxin type a-induced motor endplates after peripheral nerve repair. Muscle Nerve, 52(3), 412–418. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.24555
- Ates, F., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2014). Effects of botulinum toxin type A on non-injected bi-articular muscle include a narrower length range of force exertion and increased passive force. Muscle Nerve, 49(6), 866–878. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.23993
- Gereli, A., Akgun, U., Uslu, S., Agir, I., Ates, F., & Nalbantoglu, U. (2014). The effect of organic silicon injection on Achilles tendon healing in rats. Acta Orthopaedica Et Traumatologica Turcica, 48(3), 346–354. https://doi.org/10.3944/Aott.2014.3162
- Zeytin, K., Ciloglu, N. S., Ates, F., Vardar Aker, F., & Ercan, F. (2014). The effects of resveratrol on tendon healing of diabetic rats. Acta Orthopaedica Et Traumatologica Turcica, 48(3), 355–362. https://doi.org/10.3944/Aott.2014.13.0096
- Ates, F., Temelli, Y., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2014). Intraoperative experiments show relevance of inter-antagonistic mechanical interaction for spastic muscle’s contribution to joint movement disorder. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon), 29(8), 943–949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2014.06.010
- Ateş, F., Heybeli, N., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2014). Biomedical Engineering and Orthopedic Sports Medicine. Sports Injuries, 1–17.
- Ates, F., Temelli, Y., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2013). Human spastic Gracilis muscle isometric forces measured intraoperatively as a function of knee angle show no abnormal muscular mechanics. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon), 28(1), 48–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2012.08.012
- Ates, F., Ozdeslik, R. N., Huijing, P. A., & A., Y. C. (2013). Muscle lengthening surgery causes differential acute mechanical effects in both targeted and non-targeted synergistic muscles. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 23, 1198–1205. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2013.05.010
- Karahan, M., Akgun, U., Turkoglu, A., Nuran, R., Ates, F., & Yucesoy, C. A. (2012). Pretzel knot compared with standard suture knots. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc, 20(11), 2302–2306. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00167-011-1788-2
- Yucesoy, C. A., Arıkan, Ö. E., & Ateş, F. (2012). BTX-A Administration to the Target Muscle Affects Forces of All Muscles Within an Intact Compartment and Epimuscular Myofascial Force Transmission. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 134, 111002-1–9.
- Yucesoy, C. A., Ates, F., Akgun, U., & Karahan, M. (2010). Measurement of human Gracilis muscle isometric forces as a function of knee angle, intraoperatively. Journal of Biomechanics, 43(14), 2665–2671. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2010.06.002
Fundamentals of Experimental Biomechanics in Aerospace (WS 2020/21)
Fundamentals of Motion Biomechanics in Aerospace (SS 2021)
Filiz Ates received her Ph.D. degree in 2013 from the Institute of Biomedical Engineering of Bogazici University in Istanbul. She worked as a post-doctoral researcher in the laboratory "Motricite, Interactions, Performance", Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Nantes, France (2014) and later in the Faculty of Sports Sciences, Waseda University, Japan (2015). From 2016 to 2018, she worked in the Motion Analysis Laboratory at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA, as a senior research fellow and as an assisstant professor. Before joining the ISD at the University of Stuttgart, she spent one year at the German Sport University, Cologne (Deutsche Sporthochschule, Köln), as a senior researcher and lecturer.
- Mayo Clinic Kelly Research Fellow Award, 2018.
- Necmi Tanyolaç Award, Boğaziçi University, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, 2013.
- Young Investigator Award – Top 5 Finalist, XXIII International Society of Biomechanics Conference, Brussels, Belgium, 2011.
- Young Investigator Award Candidate, 15th Annual Congress of the European College of Sports Science (ECSS), Antalya, Turkey, 2010.
Contributions to the Research Community as a
- Journal of Biomechanics
- Journal of Mechanical Behaviour of Biomedical Materials
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Frontiers in Physiology
- Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology
- Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports
- Journal of Anatomy
- Musculoskeletal Science and Practice (Formerly: Manual Therapy)
- Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine
- Bioscience Reports
Member (formerly or active)
- ISB (International Society of Biomechanics)
- ISEK (International Society of Electrophysiology and Kinesiology)
- ASB (American Society of Biomechanics)
- GCMAS (Gait and Clinical Motion Analysis Society)
- ESB (European Society of Biomechanics)
- ECSS (European College of Sports Science)
Conference Organization Committee Member
- Banff International Research Station (BIRS), workshop on "Biological Active Porous Materials: Modeling, Simulation and Experimentation" (jointly with Luis Dorfman (Tufts University), James Adler (Tufts University), Scott MacLachlan (Memorial University of Newfoundland), and Oliver Röhrle (University of Stuttgart)). The workshop will be held from October 4-9, 2020 at Banff International Research Station.
- Organizing committee member for the “First International Musculoskeletal System Symposium”, 2020, Stuttgart, Germany.
- Organizing committee member of the 11th Biomedical Engineering Meeting (BIYOMUT), 2007, Istanbul, Turkey.
- Organizing committee member of the 10th Biomedical Engineering Meeting (BIYOMUT), 2006, Istanbul, Turkey.